Operations and Processes
The main research lines at the Laboratory of Operations and Processes are the following ones:
- Production of biofuels: oil extraction and refining, esterification and interesterification of vegetable oils.
- Development of biomaterials though green chemistry: lubricants, epoxidated oils polyols, etc.
- Production of multifunctionalized polymers with drug delivery applications.
- Crystallization processes
- Controlled release of Allium Sativum extracts.
The human resources of the laboratory are integrated by a group of Chemical Engineers highly qualified in the matter of fuels and biofuels.
- Juan Francisco Rodríguez Romero, Full professor, Head of ITQUIMA
- Ángel Pérez Martínez, Professor Titular
- Ignacio Gracia Fernández, Professor Titular
- María Jesús Ramos Marcos, Professor Titular
- Juan Carlos de Haro Sánchez, PhD Student
- María José Carrero Menchén, PhD Student
Press Komet CA 59 G. This oil press can trear from 5 to 8 kg/h. It is composed by a worm gear R6, a heater ring, a hopper to feed the seeds and a three-phase motor with an automatic transmission with a speed between 20-100 rpm and 1.1 kW.
Rotavapor BUCHI R210 for removing solvents and separate products. It is equipped with a vacuum pump TELSTAR RD-9 with a nominal flow of 9 m3/h and a monophasic motor of 1.1 kW, a vacuum trap and a vacuometer DIVATRONIC DT1.
Kugelrhor distillation aparatus. This short-path vacuum distiller is specially design to separate high boiling point compounds (normall, around 300ºC). The therm “short-path” refers to the short distance that the vapour travel before it is condensed, which is and ideal technique for distilling thermo-sensitive chemicals.
High pressure reactor BERGHOF 3000 BR 300 and control unit BERGHOF 3000 W22 for the synthesis of polyols equiped with a thermocouple, a Bourdon manometer and a teflon stirrer. The heating jacket is covered by Hastelloy stell. It is also equiped with a gas inlet valve, a system for sampling liquids and a safety valve.
Shimadzu High Performance Liquid Chromatography. This liquid chromatograph is equipped with two peristaltic pumps, an automatic injection system, rack for 120 vials, electrical furnace and two colums Water Styragel HR 2 (pore size of 500 Å, molecular weight range from 0 to 100 g/mol) and Water Styragel HR 0.5 (pore size of 50 Å, molecular weight range from 500 to 20000 g/mol).
Microwave reactor ETHOS 1. This microwave reactor is specially designed to carry out the acid digestion of different materials at pressures above 1 bar. However, the reaction parameters can be controlled perfectly, transforming it into a versatile reactor.
Pervaporation pilot plant. Sulzer Chemtech GMBH.
PROJECTS WITH COMPANIES
- VITAE PALM. Optimization of the production of provitamin A, sterols, vitamin E and biodiesel from palm oil. October 2014-April 2015.
- UBE. Operation of the crystallization unit. July 2017-September 2017
PROJECTS FINANCED BY PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS
- Design of polymeric matrixes for dosing bioactive compounds through supercritical technology (CTQ2016-79811-P). January 2017- January 2020.
- Functionalization of biopolymers through click chemistry in supercritical media (CTQ2013-46380-P). January 2014-January 2017.
- Production of biodiesel through membrane technology. (PII1I09-0254-0742) April 2009-April 2012.
- Co-processing of vegetable oils in refining units for the production of biofuels. (PEN-120000-2009-3). June 2009-December 2009
- Esterification through heterogeneous catalysis of vegetable oils with high acidity for the production of biodiesel. University of Castilla-La Mancha. January 2009-December 2009.
- Casas, A., Pérez, Á., Ramos, M.J. Catalyst Removal after the Chemical Interesterification of Sunflower Oil with Methyl Acetate. (2017) Organic Process Research and Development, 21 (9), pp. 1253-1258.
- Borreguero, A.M., Muñoz, M., De Haro, J.C., Carmona, M., Rodríguez, J.F. Zidovudine insertion in tailor-made propylene and ethylene oxide copolymers (2016) Reactive and Functional Polymers, 101, pp. 1-8.
- Galván Muciño, G.E., Romero, R., Ramírez, A., Ramos, M.J., Baeza-Jiménez, R., Natividad, R. Kinetics of transesterification of safflower oil to obtain biodiesel using heterogeneous catalysis. (2016) International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, 14 (4), pp. 929-938.
- De Haro, J.C., Rodríguez, J.F., Pérez, Á., Carmona, M. Incorporation of azide groups into bio-polyols (2016) Journal of Cleaner Production, 138, pp. 77-82.
- De Haro, J.C., Izarra, I., Rodríguez, J.F., Pérez, Á., Carmona, M. Modelling the epoxidation reaction of grape seed oil by peracetic acid (2016) Journal of Cleaner Production, 138, pp. 70-76.
- Velencoso, M.M., Ramos, M.J., Serrano, A., de Lucas, A., Rodríguez, J.F. Fire retardant functionalized polyol by phosphonate monomer insertion (2015) Polymer International, 64 (12), pp. 1706-1714.
- Fernández, C.M., Solana, M., Fiori, L., Rodríguez, J.F., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, Á. From seeds to biodiesel: Extraction, esterification, transesterification and blending of Jatropha curcas oil (2015) Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 14 (12), pp. 2855-2864.
- Velencoso, M.M., Villajos, M.T., Devic, A.C., Ramos, M.J., De Lucas, A., Rodríguez, J.F. Acidity removal and cesium catalyst recovery from polyol synthesis process (2013) Organic Process Research and Development, 17 (5), pp. 792-797.
- Ciubota-Rosie, C., Macoveanu, M., Fernández, C.M., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, A., Moreno, A. Sinapis alba seed as a prospective biodiesel source (2013) Biomass and Bioenergy, 51, pp. 83-90.
- Casas, A., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, A. Adsorption equilibrium and kinetics of methyl acetate/methanol and methyl acetate/water mixtures on zeolite 5A (2013) Chemical Engineering Journal, 220, pp. 337-342.
- Ciubota-Rosie, C., Ruiz, J.R., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, Á. Biodiesel from Camelina sativa: A comprehensive characterisation (2013) Fuel, 105, pp. 572-577.
- Casas, A., Ramos, M.J., Rodríguez, J.F., Pérez, A. Tin compounds as Lewis acid catalysts for esterification and transesterification of acid vegetable oils (2013) Fuel Processing Technology, 106, pp. 321-325.
- Casas, A., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, Á. Methanol-enhanced chemical interesterification of sunflower oil with methyl acetate (2013) Fuel, 106, pp. 869-872.
- Velencoso, M.M., Ramos, M.J., Garcia-Martinez, J.C., De Lucas, A., Rodriguez, J.F. Synthesis of polyether polyols using glycerol phosphate disodium salt as initiator (2013) Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part A: Pure and Applied Chemistry, 50 (9), pp. 905-913.
- Rodríguez, J.F., Villajos, M.T., Devic, A.C., Ramos, M.J., Lucas, A.D. Sulphuric acid as neutralization agent for the removal of caesium in the production process of a commodity polyether-polyol (2012) Organic Process Research and Development, 16 (8), pp. 1404-1408.
- Casas, A., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, A. Product separation after chemical interesterification of vegetable oils with methyl acetate. Part II: Liquid-liquid equilibrium (2012) Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 51 (30), pp. 10201-10206.
- Casas, A., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, A. Product separation after chemical interesterification of vegetable oils with methyl acetate. Part I: Vapor-liquid equilibrium (2012) Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 51 (23), pp. 8087-8094.
- Casas, A., Ramos, M.J., Pérez, A., Simón, A., Lucas-Torres, C., Moreno, A. Rapid quantitative determination by 13C NMR of the composition of acetylglycerol mixtures as byproduct in biodiesel synthesis (2012) Fuel, 92 (1), pp. 180-186.
- Velencoso, M.M., Gutierrez, C., Ramos, M.J., García-Martínez, J.C., De Lucas, A., Rodriguez, J.F. Production of polyether polyols using phosphate calcium salt (2011) Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part A: Pure and Applied Chemistry, 48 (8), pp. 569-576.