The main aim of the Fuel and Biofuel Laboratory is answer and solve needs from academic a non-academic institutions and companies in fuel and biofuel field.
In the activities develop, the laboratory offers the following analysis:
- Fuel: gasoline and diesel
- Mineral and vegetable oil
- Biofuel: biodiesel (EN 14214), biomass (UNE-EN 15234)
- Liable residues from energetic purposes
Moreover, the Fuel and Biofuel Laboratory is also involved in research develop and innovation projects for university and companies.
Our human capital is based by a highly qualified chemical engineers in the fuel and biofuel field who develop their activity under international standards as ISO 9001.
- Catedrático Juan Francisco Rodríguez Romero
- Dra. María Jesús Ramos Marcos
- Dr. Ángel Pérez Martínez
- Ing. María del Carmen Montano Vico, Responsable de Laboratorio
The quality is as a strategic factor for the Institute of Chemical and Environmental Technologies, this is essential for the competitive development of its activity and establishes a fundamental objective for its achievement. Providing a service based on the precision and accuracy of analytical results, as well as based in the impartiality, independence and confidentiality of the same service is crucial for ITQUIMA.
For this reason, the Head of ITQUIMA has defined and implemented a Quality Policy based on the following intentions and principles:
- Knowing the needs and expectations of our customers and establish the necessary means to satisfy them, solving at all times with their demands, requirements and deadlines.
- Implement, maintain, correct and continuously improve the Quality Management System.
- Comply with the legislation and regulations that apply to the Laboratories and with other requirements that it itself subscribes.
- Provide the necessary resources to guarantee the training of the personnel in accordance with quality aspects, which facilitates their involvement in the interpretation and compliance with the procedures and instructions developed for this purpose.
- Promote among our employees a commitment of responsibility to carry out the tasks entrusted.
- Increase the satisfaction of all the personnel of the Laboratories through the recognition and evaluation of their work and making them participate through the contribution of suggestions and team work.
- Promote the understanding and dissemination of our Quality Policy within the organization, through ongoing training and communication with our employees.
- Implement and keep up to date a Quality Management System that meets the applicable requirements of the UNE-EN ISO 9001: 2008 standard, adapting it continuously to our activity the demands of our clients and the needs of the moment.
Ciudad Real, 27th March 2017
Signed: Juan Francisco Rodríguez Romero
Head of ITQUIMA
The Laboratory of Fuels of the Institute of Chemical and Environmental Technologies is CERTIFIED by the company AENOR in the UNE-EN ISO 9001: 2008 standard. Our objectives are:
- Comply and respond to the demands of customers who, increasingly, require certified laboratories.
- Take this certification as a starting point to other possible certifications and accreditations.
- Focus, organize and systematize our processes and provide products and services that meet the requirements of customers.
The Fuel Laboratory regularly participates in interlaboratories programs to control and ensure its technical competence.
The programs in which it participates have an international scope, with an average of more than 60 laboratories throughout the world, among which the ITQUIMA Fuel Laboratory has been awarded several times for the excellence of its results.
IIS EXCELLENCE CERTIFICATE
The Fuel Laboratory offers a wide range of services:
- FEASIBILITY STUDIES
- TECHNICAL REPORTS
- APPLIED RESEARCH ANALYSIS OF SAMPLES
- WASTE WITH CALORIFYING POWER
- LUBRICANT OILS
- GAS-OIL (UNE-EN 590)
- BIODIÉSEL (UNE-EN 14214)
- VEGETABLE OILS
- GASOLINES (UNE-EN 228)
- Ester content (EN 14103)
- Density at 15 ºC (EN ISO 3675, 12185)
- Viscosity at 40 ºC (EN ISO 3104)
- Flash Point (EN ISO 3679)
- Sulfur content (EN ISO 20846, 20884)
- Carbon waste (EN ISO 10370)
- Cetane number (EN 15195) New!
- Cetane number (EN ISO 5165)
- Sulphated ash content (ISO 3987)
- Water content (EN ISO 12937)
- Total pollution (EN 12662)
- Copper strip corrosion (EN ISO 2160)
- Stability to oxidation (EN 14112)
- Acid index (EN 14104)
- Iodine number (EN 14111)
- Methyl ester linolenic acid (EN 14103)
- Poly-unsaturated methyl esters
- Methanol content (EN 14110)
- Monoglyceride content (EN 14105)
- Content of diglycerides (EN 14105)
- Triglyceride content (EN 14105)
- Free glycerol (EN 14105, 14106)
- Total glycerol (EN 14105)
- Group I metals (EN 14108, 14109)
- Metals of group II (EN 14538)
- Phosphorus content (EN 14107)
- Cold filter clogging point (EN 116)
- Peroxides index (EN 3960)
- Saponification index (EN 3657)
- Cloud point (EN 23015)
- Vacuum point (ASTM D97)
- Distillation (EN ISO 3405)
- Heat Value (UNE 51-123-86)
- Color (ASTM D1500)
The fuel laboratory has all the technical and human resources that allow it to provide an efficient service to its customers
Ignition Quality Tester (IQT TM)
Equipment for the Determination of the Cetane Number in Diesel, Biodiesel and mixtures
Octane Number Measurement Equipment (RON)
Automatic cold properties analyzer (CP and PP)
High resolution gas chromatograph
Automatic equipment for the measurement of the cold filter obstruction point (left), digital density meter (right)
Viscometer (left), flash point (right).
Karl Fisher for water content (left) and carbonaceous residue meter (right)
High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC)
The Laboratory of Fuels devotes part of its activity to Research, Development and Innovation. So we highlight:
PROJECTS WITH COMPANIES
- ECOPRIBER. Optimization of the transesterification reaction of triglycerides of vegetable oils with methyl acetate. March 2006-October 2006
- GASÓLEOS SÁNCHEZ AND MURCIA. Scientific-Technical Advice applied to the quality control of gas oils and the development of new fuels. May 2006-May 2007
- WIND ENERGIES BABEL S.L .. Studies of optimization of a synthesis process of Biodiesel. October 2006-October 2007
- ECOPROSA. Development of a continuous process of obtaining Biodiesel based on Spanish patent No. 2201894, belonging to industrial management, S.A. March 2007-June 2007
- ECOPRIBER. Production of biodiesel with improved properties and additives derived from glycerin, by transesterification of triglycerides of vegetable oils with methyl acetate. July 2007-July 2008
- AGECAM. Start-up and subsequent operation of a certified laboratory for the characterization of fuels and biofuels. July 2007-July 2009
- AGECAM. Start-up and subsequent operation of an accredited laboratory for the characterization of fuels and biofuels. July 2009-In progress
- ECOPRIBER. Support for technological development and the establishment of a demonstration plant for the production of 10,000 tons / year of biodiesel in the town of Daimiel (Ciudad Real). October 2008-September 2009
PROJECTS WITH PUBLIC SUPPORT
- Valorization of by-products of the production of wine made in Castilla-La Mancha: production of biodiesel and hydrogen. Regional Government of Castilla-La Mancha (PIB07-0031-5471). March 2007-December 2009 (€ 96,388.93)
- Production of biodiesel using membrane technology. Regional Government of Castilla-La Mancha (PII1I09-0254-0742). April 2009-April 2012 (€ 150,000)
- Co-processing of vegetable oils in refining units for the production of biofuels. Singular and Strategic Project, Ministry of Science and Innovation (PEN-120000-2009-3). June 2009-December 2009 (€ 967,600 / UCLM: € 163,000)
- Esterification by heterogeneous catalysis of vegetable oils with high acidity for the production of biodiesel. Castilla-La Mancha university. January 2009-December 2009 (€ 3,000)
- M. J. Ramos, A. Casas, L. Rodríguez, R. Romero, Á. Pérez. Transesterification of sunflower oil over zeolites using different metal loading: A case of leaching and agglomeration studies. Applied Catalysis A: General 346 (2008) 79-85.
- M.J. Ramos, C.M. Fernández, A. Casas, L. Rodríguez, Á. Perez. Influence of fatty acid composition of raw materials on biodiesel properties. Bioresource Technology 100 (2009) 261-268
- A. Casas, C.M. Fernández, M.J. Ramos, Á. Perez, J.F. Rodríguez. Optimization of the reaction parameters for fast pseudo single-phase transesterification of sunflower oil. Fuel 89 (2010) 650-658.
- C.M. Fernández, M. J. Ramos, Á. Perez, J. F. Rodríguez. Production of biodiesel from winery waste: extraction, refining and transesterification of grape seed oil. Bioresource Technology 101 (2010) 7019-7024.
- A. Pérez, A. Casas, C. M. Fernández, M. J. Ramos, L. Rodríguez. Winterization of peanut biodiesel to improve the cold properties. Bioresource Technology 101 (2010) 7375-7381.
- A. Casas, J.R. Ruiz, M. J. Ramos, A. Pérez. Effects of triacetin on biodiesel quality. Energy & Fuels 24, (2010) 4481–4489.
- C. Ciubota Rosie, J. R. Ruiz, M. J. Ramos, A. Pérez. Biodiesel from Camelina sativa: A comprehensive characterization. Fuel 105 (2013) 572–577
- C. Ciubota Rosie, M. Macoveanu, C. M. Fernández, M. J. Ramos, A. Pérez, A. Moreno. Sinapis alba seed as a prospective biodiesel source. Biomass and Bioenergy (2013)
María del Carmen Montano Vico: MariaCarmen.Montano@uclm.es
María Jesús Ramos Marcos: MariaJesus.Ramos@uclm.es
Ángel Pérez Martínez: Angel.Perez@uclm.es
THROUGH TELEPHONE OR FAX
(+34) 902 204 100 Ext. 96320
(+34) 926 295 242
IN PERSON OR REGULAR MAIL
Institute of Chemical and Environmental Technologies (ITQUIMA)
Avda. Camilo José Cela s/n
13005, Ciudad Real (España)