Access whit Foreign Title without Recognition in Spain

According to R.D. 99/2011, of January 28th, which regulate official doctoral education in Spain, it is possible to access to doctoral studies for those who are in possession of title under foreign educational systems, without recognition, but after verification by the university that it accredits a level of training equivalent to the official Spanish title Master’s degree and entitle the issuing country for access to doctoral studies. This admission does not imply, in any case, the recognition of the title that is held by the applicant or its approval for other purposes than access to Doctoral studies.

In these cases, the procedure indicated below will be followed:

Previous to the pre-enrolment, the applicant have to submit to the International Doctoral School ( an application of authorization for admission to doctoral studies with foreign title without recognition, accompanied by the following documents:

  • Certified copy of ID card or passport.
  • Certified copy of Degree to access to PhD in the origin country. In case of a Master (Magister or Master), also have to provide the previous title.
  • Certified copy of an Official Academic Certificate of the studies, stating:
    1. Length in academic years of studies plan.
    2. Subjects with workload of each and the mark.
    3. Overall average mark.
  • Original certificate stating than the obtained title in the issuing country to access to doctoral studies (issued by the home university or the Ministry of Education of the country in which the studies were performed)

Every document must be duly authenticate and if they had been issued in other language than Spanish or English, accompanied by their official translation (For more information about legalization, click here)

Once received the authorization, he/she may make the pre-enrolment to doctoral program. This authorization does not represent the admission to the program.

Note: At the moment of your enrolment, you must pay the academic fee corresponding to studies equivalence of foreign degree that are not recognise in Spain. For the academic year 2018-19 will be 49,45 euros.