Admission and enrollment in Doctorate
In admission or in 2 months following to enrollment in the PhD program.
Signature of supervision document :
In 3 months following to first enrollment in the PhD program.
In order to gain entry onto a Doctoral studies, the applicant must hold an official Spanish undergraduated degree (or equivalent) and an official Spanish master’s degree (or equivalent). The applicant should have obteinened an amount of credits equal to or higher than 300 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
Alternatives ways of access to PhD studies have the following requirements:
- The applicant must hold an official undergraduated degree obteined either in Spain or any other country of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). A minimum of 300 ECTS credits obtained from undergraduate and postgraduate formal studies, being at least 60 of them from a Master degree or equal, is also required.
- The applicant must hold a formal undergraduate degree with a duration of at least 300 ECTS credits, in accordance to the Community law. These graduates will be obliged to attend the complementary training course, unless the curriculum of the corresponding undergraduate degree includes ECTS credits gained from research training, with an educational value equivalent to ECTS credits gained from a Master’s Degree course.
- The applicant must be a graduate who had passed an entrance exam for access to specialized training period in any speciality in Health Sciences, and may prove a positive evaluation of, at least, two of this training years.
- The applicant must hold a degree gained from foreign educational systems. This degree must be equal to an official Spanish Master’s Degree which and provide access to the Doctoral studies at the country of origin. This admission will under no circumstance imply the accreditation in Spain of the previous degree, nor its recognition to other effects different from the access to Doctoral studies.
Click here to know how to access in doctorate in UCLM with a foreign diploma.
- Candidates holding a PhD degree gained from any previous Universities Act will be entitled to access to doctoral studies.
- Graduates, Architects or Engineers holding either the Diploma of Advanced Studies or the Research Sufficiency Diploma, will also be entitled to access to doctoral studies.
- Can also apply for access those graduates whose degree equals to the 7th level of the European Qualification Framework (EQF) and those Technical Engineer or Technical arquitect whose degrees equals to the 6th level of the European Qualification Framework (EQF) and holds a Master’s degree of 60 ECTS credits or more.
The steps to a sucessful admission aplicattion are the following ones:
- First of all, the applicant should check the list of offered PhD Programs and the characteristics of those in which is interested in. In case of academic doubt, the applicant will contact with the coordinator or secretary of the Academic Committee of the PhD Program the applicant is interested in.
- Second, the applicand will have to fullfil the online form for the pre-enrolment. The following documents will be required, so they must be ready and in PDF
- ID card or passport
- Curriculum Vitae in accordance with the following model: link.
Applicants can also use the standard model for researchers provided by the Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology (FECYT): link.
- Written presentation in accordance with the following model: link.
- Certifying documents of the specific requirements determined by the corresponding PhD Program.
When obtained titles are accredited in another Spanish universities than University of Castilla-La Mancha the applicants will also submit the following documents:
- Title of first and/or second cycle or degree.
- Graduate degree (Master, DEA, Research Aptitude, Doctor).
- Academic certification of graduate studies that give access to doctoral studies (credits of master level, marks in specialized health training or doctorate, as applicable).
The graduates of universities in foreign countries that have not make equivalent the title in Spain, must submit, in addition to the above documents, the following:
- Authorization for admission with foreign title without equivalence. This authorization is obtained with prior character to the pre-enrolment.
- The Academic Committee of each doctoral program will decide whether to admit or not the applicant, having taken into account the criteria established in article 8 of the Rules of PhD studies of the University of Castilla-La Mancha.
The specific criteria for admission of each doctoral program will be posted on their websites.
- This admission may include a requirement of specific training courses, which will be subjects from an official Master’s degree. The applicant will have to take this training courses during the first year of the development of his or her PhD dissertation, or, if the student were part-time enrolling, during the initial two years. For the purposes of public fees, scholarships and financial aids, the credits of these subjects will be considered doctoral level training, and their development not counted against the limit of years established for the development of the PhD dissertation.
- The applicants will be informed of the decision of the Academic Committe by e-mail, and, in case of being admited, they will have to proceed with the completion of enrolment procedures in any of the Academic Administration Unit of the University of Castilla-La Mancha.
- The Academic Committee of a Doctoral Program could accept a temporary pre-admission of the applicant when he or she, being in possession of the required qualifications, has pending the formalization of the documents or other administrative requirements (authorization of foreign documents, translation titles and certifications, etc.).
- The doctoral student must file each academic course, up to the defense of the thesis, the enrollment of academic supervision as student of the University of Castilla La Mancha.
- This enrollment must be filed at the Administrative Student Unit of the campus (UGAD), where he will mainly undertake his doctoral activities.
- Admitted students that do not file the enrollment will lose their place in the program and must apply for admission again in they want to undertake doctoral studies.
- The doctoral student could request a temporary leave of the program following the procedure published in the next link: http://eid.uclm.es/en/procedures/application-for-temporary-leave/
- If the student does not file his annual enrollment without notice of a temporary or permanent leave, the University will understand he is quitting his studies. Consequently, the student would lose his place in the program and thesis topic.
- At the time of admission, the Academic Commission of each doctoral program will assign a provisional thesis supervisor and a tutor. In any case, the assignment of thesis supervisor will be made within a maximum of two months from the registration.
The final assignment of tutor and supervisor, as well as co-supervisors whose need is duly justified, will be carried out by signing of the Supervision Commitment Document (SCD). This document will be submitted to the IDS within a maximum of 3 months, from the formalization of the first registration, signed by all parties, doctoral student, tutor, supervisor, co-supervisor or co-supervisors, if applicable, and by the coordinator of the program.
- Students that have begun their doctoral studies the previous courses must receive from the Academic Committee of the corresponding doctoral program a favorable global evaluation of the Document of Activities and Research Plan (RAPI).
- The calendar and deadlines of the evaluation process will be that approved by the Steering Committee of the IDS.
- The doctoral student must renew the tuition of his academic supervision each academic year until the defense of the thesis.
- Any student willing to quit his studies must communicate to the IDS his definitive withdrawal or a temporary leave of the program. For the temporary leave the procedure indicated on the link will be followed: http://eid.uclm.es/en/procedures/application-for-temporary-leave/
- If the student does not renew his academic supervision without notice of temporary or permanent leave, he will be considered to be leaving his studies and consequently, the place in the program will not be retained losing the right to maintain the research line and the title of the thesis.
- Students who defend their doctoral thesis before December 23 and enrolled in the immediately preceding academic year are not required to pay the renewal of the academic supervision.
- To request adaptation, students must fill out an application with the prior approval of the corresponding Doctoral Program Coordinator and submit it to the Academic Administration Unit before self-registration renewal of supervision. Click on the following link to download the corresponding form: http://eid.uclm.es/en/procedure-adapting/.
- The application must be submitted along with the supervision agreement and, if it is the case, with the accreditation of research experience report of the supervisor(s), according to the forms available in the next link: http://eid.uclm.es/impresos
- Doctoral students adapted to the new doctoral programs willing to deliver their final dissertation before the end of one academic course have to submit at least one research plan and one document of activities for its evaluation by the Academic Committee of the corresponding program before the thesis defense.
- Students that enroll the new doctoral programs with a Diploma of Advanced Studies or Research Sufficiency, coming from a doctoral program of another University, must pay the corresponding transfer of documents fee. UCLM students will be free of charge if they enroll the new program as a consequence of the adaptation by extinction of the former program.
The Permanent Commission of the International Doctoral School is the competent body to solve any doubts that may arise from the implementation of these guidelines.